Tuesday, October 02, 2007

XBox 360 - XBox Live Gold? What's so "Gold" about it?

Do you know where I was on September 24th at 11:59pm? That's right, standing outside Gamestop like a good Halo fan. It was my duty and it was my honor to be there when it hit the streets.

But I'm a family man.

That means I did the responsible thing: I went home, put it on top of the television and went back to bed before one am. (I did however call in sick for work at 6 am so I could play. Again, duty, honor, all that crap.)

Do you know where my fourteen year old son was at four o'clock that same morning? Playing Halo 3. He got up two hours early to play. How industrious of him. I can't get him to use an alarm clock, but for a video game he will. Whatever, that's beside the point.

The point is that he hijacked the H3 on-line profile. Since someone (I suspect M$ put Bungie up to this) changed the rules you can't have more than one player profile in XBL any more, only a primary, all others must be signed in as guests. Those guests have to use a generic avatar unless they want to change their appearance every damn time they join the primary. This sucks, all the achievements I make in the campaign and on line are applied to his profile.

Also I didn't catch on to what was happening until I beat the entire game with his profile, so now it appears as though he Finished the Fight.

No, he most certainly did not Finish the Fight.

Now I have to go through the entire game on Heroic again. I'm tempted to say screw it and just tackle Legendary. I don't really see that going well, it could take a month or two.

Also, I'm an adult so this may sound childish, but on the rare occasion I play on line I would like to use the Elite model, not the Spartan. It's a matter of personal taste, see? If I want to use the Elite model I have to change his profile every damn time, then change it back when I'm done. What the hell? I didn't have to go through this with H2.

Also, he's pretty good at video games so he's going to be level 23 or something ridiculous while I'm playing at level 8. When I log in I'm going to get my a$$ handed to me by other level 23 players and it will NOT be fun. I didn't have to go through this with H2 either. The only redemption this offers is that when he comes back from a weekend away his account will have fallen due to my lack of skill and he'll have to re-build it from level 8. Ha ha.

Why would they do this to me? I spent a disgusting amount of money on the system, $60 for the game, $60.00 for my OWN controller, rechargeable batteries, $50.00 for an online XBL Gold account... the list goes on.

Holy sh1t that's a lot of money spent for me to not be able to choose the way my character looks, don't you think? That's alot of money for me to have to pay to have my a$$ unfairly kicked around a digital make believe environment, don't you think?

Why would they do this to me? My son figured it out, smart kid:

Yesterday I bought a thirteen month XBL Gold account extension and after the boy re-activated our account I was complaining about all the above while he was smashing Warthogs full of unsuspecting suckers with the Gravity Hammer. He must have gotten sick of my bitching because he stopped, turned to me and said "Well I guess you'll just have to buy your own account, won't you then?"

Wise ass, huh? He's right though, that's why theyr'e doing it. In honoring the true, black, cancer ridden spirit of M$ they want still MORE of my money.

Sweet, frickin' sweet.

No comments: